The Power of Listening Well
Do you recognise the power of listening?
We often think of leaders as being assertive, decisive, and with a winsome personality. But the most successful leaders are almost always those who understand the value of listening often and well to others.
As you read through the book of Ezekiel it is evident that much of what was written was a result of simply listening to what God was speaking. And then communicating it to the people. In fact, we could say that is true of all Scripture. God spoke to the prophets, apostles, and chosen others who listened and wrote what God spoke to them. And today we have this powerful book, the Bible.
for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.
– 2 Peter 1:21
2 Questions to Assess the Quality of Your Listening
- How well are you doing in taking time to listen to God? Through his Word, through prayer, and meditating on Scripture?
- How well are you doing in listening to others? Especially the people God has placed in your life for you to lead and those you are led by?
Listening is crucial in the lives of leaders. It enables us to connect with our teams on a much deeper level, and to make more informed decisions. And listening well to our leaders allows us to understand them and, when needed, discern the best way forward.
3 Benefits of Listening to Others
- Listening fosters trust and loyalty. According to a study by the Harvard Business Review, workers who feel heard and valued by their leaders are more committed, productive, and engaged. By actively listening to their team members and leaders, they demonstrate that they care about their opinions, feelings, and well-being. This all fosters a sense of trust and loyalty. And this can lead to better retention rates, higher morale, and increased job satisfaction.
- Listening encourages learning and growth. Leaders and followers who listen to feedback, criticism, and suggestions are more likely to learn from their mistakes. They will grow as individuals and as leaders, and continuously improve their performance.
- Listening helps us make better decisions. Listenening to different perspectives and consider alternative viewpoints, helps us make more informed and objective decisions. According to a study by the University of Michigan, teams with leaders who actively seek out and integrate dissenting opinions are more likely to make good decisions. The pace of change makes it impossible for one leader to be informed about everything. Listen to others and learn.
Listening is crucial for good leadership
Listening is a critical skill for effective leadership, followership, and discipleship. Let’s listen well and create a culture of openness, respect, and collaboration, leading to success and sustainability.
Global Disciples Canada is a Christian mission organization that trains local leaders living near least-reached communities to multiply disciples for Christ. One-third of our world hasn’t heard the Good News of Jesus. Yet. Global Disciples refers to these as “least-reached” people, and fewer than 10% of all missionaries work among these groups. We live in a time where many of these people are within reach of a local church. Through our simple and effective strategy of training and coaching, believers share the Gospel in their own nations and cultures. Jesus said, “Go and make disciples of all nations,” and we’re committed to doing just that. If you are looking for a Christian mission organization to partner with to become a better disciple and help make disciples, connect with us today!
Notable Moments in the Bible Where Jesus Lent a Helping Hand
Throughout the Bible, there are many notable moments where Jesus showed compassion, healing, and provision. Read on to learn more.
The Call to Share the Gospel: Transforming Lives
In this blog post, we will explore why it is crucial to share the Gospel and how it can transform lives. Continue reading to learn more!
The Power of Prayer: Strengthening Mission Work Through Intercession
Explore the vital role of prayer in advancing the Kingdom of God and learn how intercession can strengthen our mission efforts.
Give monthly, reach the world.
Join our community of monthly donors bringing the hope of Jesus to least-reached people groups around the world.