What are some of the most well-known bible verses for Christmas?
Want to know more about the Nativity story? These bible verses for Christmas 2023, will help you understand the wonder of the Christmas. Choose a couple of your favourites to send in Christmas cards for loved ones, or for you own personal reflection. We pray that they will bring you closer to the Saviour this Christmas season.
What are the main themes of Christmas bible verses?
First of all, lets look at the verses that prophesy the Messiahs coming.
The Prophecy and Promise of Christmas
- Isaiah 9:6 – “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”
- Micah 5:2 – “But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, who are too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel, whose coming forth is from of old, from ancient days.”
- Isaiah 11:1 – “There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch from his roots shall bear fruit.”
Some theologians believe that there are over 300 verses in the Old Testament that speak about the birth of Jesus. They were written long before He was even born. God who sent His son to earth is working out His perfect plan for the redemption of creation!
5. Isaiah 40:9 – “Go on up to a high mountain, O Zion, herald of good news; lift up your voice with strength, O Jerusalem, herald of good news; lift it up, fear not; say to the cities of Judah, ‘Behold your God!'”
6. Isaiah 52:9 – “Break forth together into singing, you waste places of Jerusalem, for the Lord has comforted his people; he has redeemed Jerusalem.”
7. Isaiah 11:10 – “In that day the root of Jesse, who shall stand as a signal for the peoples—of him shall the nations inquire, and his resting place shall be glorious.”
What are some Bible passages about the birth of Jesus?
Secondly lets look at some significant verses that speak about the nativity story.
8. Matthew 1:23 – “Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).
9. Luke 2:10-11 – “And the angel said to them, ‘Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.'”
10. John 1:14 – “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.”
Jesus birth is elevated to a significant universal event by these synoptic gospel writers. His birth has given us the hope of eternal life and personal salvation for everyone who believes!
11. Luke 2:14 – “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”
12. Matthew 2:1-2 – “Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the east came to Jerusalem, saying, ‘Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.'”
Bible Verses About Christmas 2023 – The Shepherds meet The Messiah
13. Luke 2:8 – “And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.”
14. Luke 2:15 – “When the angels went away from them into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, ‘Let us go over to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us.'”
Its no accident that the Shepherds were the first group of people to see the Baby Jesus. The Shepherds were ordinary Jesus, known as the Good Shepherd, identifies with ordinary people like you and me. He could have been born in a palace. Instead, He choose an animal shelter.
Jesus crashes through social barriers and makes no preference for class or social status. No matter who you are or where you live, know that you have a Saviour who identifies with you. And He wants to walk with you throughout your life!
The Shepherds give glory To God
15. Luke 2:16 – “And they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in a manger.”
16. Luke 2:20 – “And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them.”
17. Luke 2:25 – “Now there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him.”
18. Luke 2:26 – “And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.”
19. Luke 2:29-32 – “Lord, now you are letting your servant depart in peace, according to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation that you have prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to your people Israel.”
A devout man, Simeon had been waiting His whole life to see the Messiah. He testified that the baby was the Messiah, by the witness of the Holy Spirit within Him.
Bible About Christmas 2023 – The Visit of the Wise Men
20. Matthew 2:10-11 – “When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy. And going into the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him.”
21. Matthew 2:11 – “And going into the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh.”
These Magi, traditionally wise men in school nativities, were astronomers. They recognised that something was different in the sky on the night of Jesus birth. And, in doing so, they recognised that Jesus was a special child.
22. Matthew 2:9-10 – “After listening to the king, they went on their way. And behold, the star that they had seen when it rose went before them until it came to rest over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy.”
23. Matthew 2:12 – “And being warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed to their own country by another way.”
The journey to Egypt
Finally, lets read about Jesus family miraculous escape from Herod, into the land of Egypt.
24. Matthew 2:13 – “Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, ‘Rise, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you, for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him.'”
25. Matthew 2:15 – “and remained there until the death of Herod. This was to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet, ‘Out of Egypt I called my son.'”
Make a difference with Global Disciples
So why not take your discipleship journey to even greater heights by partnering with Global Disciples and exploring our training programs? You could connect with our resources, and support services designed to empower believers like you to reach out to least-reached communities with the Good News of Jesus Christ. Explore our discipleship programs in Canada and discover how you can make a lasting difference in the lives of countless individuals across the globe. Your disciple-making adventure awaits!